Wednesday, March 16, 2011

As iron sharpens iron.....

My friend, Shari Todd has a great blog and a great heart.....literally!!! The woman runs and works out all the time, has run marathons, is an amazing cook, home schooling mom, adores her husband and two boys, AND is an IRONWOMAN!!!!! That's right! She completed her first Iron Man  this year!!! I wish I had her energy and stamina, and maybe , one day, I'll join one of her running adventures...that would be REALLY fun!

Proverbs 27:17 says, "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." I have friends who spur me on and encourage me in different areas of my life - Shari is a woman after God's heart and an inspiring wife and mother. You can follow her blog here http://running-upward.blogspot.com/2011/03/grandmas-yeast-rolls-but-in-bread.html
Anyway, she shared her Grandma's Dinner Roll recipe and it is FANTASTIC  - so I thought I would share it here with you!!!!!
Here's the list of ingredients:
1/2 cup warm milk
just the milk...

1/2 cup warm water
this is the milk and water mixed and microwaved 45 sec.

1/3 cup melted butter
melt this!!!!

1/3 cup sugar

1 egg
see the egg...there at the bottom???

3 3/4 cup flour
my flour container looks a bit low....but i DID have enough!

1 tsp salt (trust me, it's in there!!!)

2 1/4 tsp yeast (or one package)
    She recommends putting the ingredients in the bread machine in this order, so I put them in my stand mixer in that order.(I do not own a bread machine because I DO own a Victorian house with VERY VERY LITTLE STORAGE SPACE!!!!!!!)
    i love these ACTION shots!!!! so thrilling!
    Add caption
     Mix it for about 5 minutes, then cover and let rise for 40 min. in a warm place....
    this is after 15 minutes in my snuggly, warm kitchen....
    this is after 40 min. of rising ( i have a 6 QT. mixer, so it looks small)

    Melt 1/2 cup of butter for use in a minute.....
    Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface and divide into equal-ish pieces...I made 20 rolls...
    So, you want to make a tight, little ball out of the dough and lay the "seams" down inside the pan...
    Something like this:
    hold it from the seam side
    Dip the ball into the melted butter
    Then place seam-side down in lightly greased pan(s)
    sorry about the sideways picture!!!

    Let rise another 40 minutes or till rolls have almost doubled in size
    Preheat your oven to 375°, then bake for 15-18 minutes till golden brown!!!
    Shari then brushed hers with the remainder of the 1/2 cup of melted bliss which would have been great, but I had hungry Maces all round and had to serve up their grub in a hurry!!!!!I snapped this as it was being taken from my hands, so it is a little blurry, but you can get the gist!!!

     So I served it with soft butter and homemade peach jam.....
    These rolls are really UNBELIEVABLE!!!! You will end up making them all the time, and giving them away, and making up little songs about them....so perhaps I get a little carried away, but they are soooo delicious! I think you'll love them (if you like rolls...or anything resembling bread- and even if you don't, you should try these because maybe you WILL become a bread fan!!!!!)
    Thanks, Shari!!!!

    4 comments:

    1. Oops!!! bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes!!!!!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I am so happy you like them as much as I do..... because you're my food twin! :) I am so thankful for you and your encouragement. You have such a sweet attitude and a kind way of making other people feel special. I really appreciate that about you. I love your blog! Can't wait to see more! :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. ....see what i mean about Shari!!!!!
      (comment above!!!!)

      ReplyDelete
    4. Thank you for sharing. They look really good!

      ReplyDelete