Thursday, March 24, 2011

Mary's night to make dinner!

"the older women [should] be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women...to be self- controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no-one will malign the word of God."

God has brought many wonderful women into my life to sharpen, encourage and support me. Some who are barely older, whose children are older than mine and who reassure me in my frustrations and come alongside in my doubts. Others are women who are a generation older who can see the big picture better and the grand scheme of things- who show me how to let little things be little things!!! I am so grateful for their mentoring influence in my life!
As for teaching the younger- well, at this point, my main obligation ( and privilege) is trying to raise  my daughter !!!! While she is very capable, she is also very opinionated and very much like me! She wants to do things herself , her own way, and she thinks she has mastered every new challenge at her first attempt. Did I mention she is like me??? Oh dear!!!!
We really are so much a like that I easily empathize with her and anticipate her reactions more than anyone else on the planet. She has recently taken a huge interest in helping me with meal preparation and making side dishes and desserts on her own. So tonight is her big debut at making the main course for dinner. The recipe is for cheeseburger pie- YES- she picked it out of a cookbook she got for Christmas this year. http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/impossibly-easy-cheeseburger-pie/8c78aa78-c368-40fa-8a88-1654640c7525


 Here is how the process goes:


Tirelessly grate a generous cup of cheddar cheese....

like so....and then gather some of your other ingredients:
1 lb. of ground beef
1 onion finely diced
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. Bisquick (see substitute we used below because we don't have Bisquick!!!)
1 c. milk
2 eggs
First saute the onion in a little butter (like 1 T. or so).....just till it's tender-




remove the onions from the pan and add your beef...
break it up with lots of water- you don't want any huge chunks....Once it's cooked, drain off the fat and water and return the onions top the pan- sprinkle with 1/2 t. of salt and stir thoroughly!
Now make your Bisquick "crust" mixture with the milk and eggs...(in place of the Bisquick, we used
1/2 c.regular flour + 1/4 t. baking powder and 1/8 t. baking soda and a pinch of salt)
Now you are ready to layer your ingredients- begin with the beef/onion, then the cheese and finally pour over the Bisquick mixture then bake in a 400 ° oven for about 25 minutes or until golden .


In MY oven, 22 minutes would have been better, but you live and learn!!!! We all enjoyed Mary's dinner and she served it up with mustard (just for me) ketchup, and pickles!!!

When all was said and done- we were full and there was nothing left of her Cheeseburger pie!
What a blessing to have a little sweetheart who can take over a meal every now and then!!!!
Did I mention how I adore my helpful little girl????? Oh I DO!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment