Friday, March 25, 2011

Cake Pops!



" How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!"
-Psalm 119:103
There is something richer, sweeter, and far more satisfying than anything I could put IN my mouth!

That God's words would pour out of my mouth from the overflow of this grateful heart is my sincere desire.
I am so aware...especially now that I have kids, how powerful words can be. Kind words and encouraging words have strength to build and nurture greatness, and harsh, bitter words are as destroying as a sock in the jaw!

The book of James says this, "We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check."(wouldn't THAT be nice????)" When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal." If we could really grasp the far-reaching effects of our words and hold our tongues, i think we would have it DOWN!!!!! I am certainly not there!!!
However, today- instead of a bit in my mouth, how about something SWEET?!??!


I went to a baby shower recently and they had the cutest little OWL Cake Pops! I decided then and there that I wanted...needed to make some cake pops of my own.So in honor of  the fact that it's rainy and cold outside, I decided TODAY IS THE DAY!!!!!


Basically, it's just a cake that you bake, crumble up, mix with frosting and dip in melted chocolate or candy!
It sounded simple and fun, and you can use a cake mix and a can of storebought frosting, but I just couldn't see myself doing THAT!!!!!!

So I began with a homemade butter cake and buttercream frosting....
Yes- this is a completely incomplete assortment of ingredients!!!!Sorry!
 Here goes:
Start with a cake of your choice and cut it in pieces to make crumbling easier:

Blend it in the blender or food processor or just give it a good crumbling if it makes you feel better.


Mix it together with half a cup of frosting .

and up to another half a cup to make the mixture the consistency of a thick, fudgey truffle
then roll it into balls....don't be too prissy to get your hands sticky now!!!!! They should look like this:

Refrigerate cake balls till firm.


Dip your sticks into the melted chocolate and insert them into each cake ball. Let them get cool-  this helps them stay put!
 Finally, dip the cake balls into the chocolate mixture and sprinkle with fun stuff!!!
Okay- I didn't have a picture of the melted chocolate, but I thought you might enjoy this one in its place!!!!!

 
 and EAT "EM UP!!!!!!



.Next time I may make cream cheese frosting and mix in some crushed Oreos to make kind of a "cookies and cream" cake filling - that sounds good, or red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting mixed in, or lemon cake with lemon curd and cream cheese....or maybe German chocolate with coconut frosting or?????The possibilities are endless!!!!
Check out this website for cute decorating ideas.....http://www.bakerella.com/category/pops-bites/cake-pops/page/2/

In the meantime,this is my prayer-
"Set a guard over my mouth, O LORD; keep watch over the door of my lips."
Psalm 141:3

4 comments:

  1. Love Bakerella!! Your pops are so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shari!
    they were lots of fun to do with the kids- i bet Nicholas would like making them too- the rolling and decorating part is the best!!!!(oh- and the EATING!!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Those look amazing!!! And fun too!!! Thanks for the great idea!!
    Hummm - Maybe some "Pug Pops" too????

    ReplyDelete
  4. love, love, LOVE these! Can't wait to move back to cali so we can have playdates!

    --xoxoxo,
    maria

    ReplyDelete