Wednesday, March 9, 2011

a better home....

Lofthouse-style sugar cookie
 I have a neighbor who graciously provides me with her old copies of Better Homes and Gardens and Real Simple Magazine. My husband does not appreciate my having access to any such publications because he thinks it makes me restless about our house and it always results in my adding projects to his already lengthy list of things to do....So as I was reading Hebrews today, it occurred to me that the reason I am so anxious to improve things here may be because I am looking for a better home.....

"All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance. And they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth..... Instead, they were longing for a better country— a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them."
First things first....get clean!!!!
It  seems to me that none of us will ever be satisfied if we are thinking that our current circumstances are as good as it gets- we have a God-given desire for something more that drives us to keep our eyes on the prize, as it were...the prize being our heavenly home!!!! So I try to keep my mind on things above as I take care of the things I can "here below"!!!!
Mix the wet ingredients till they are lemony-colored.....mmmm this is the best part!!!!!
So, for today, we are having a homemade version of Lofthouse cookies, because it seems "lofty" and sweet, like our true home above...and because they taste heavenly!!!!!

 If your dry mixture spills a bit while you are sifting the ingredients, please draw a smiley face in the flour...it will make you happy!!!!
Then all that is left to do is bake them.... is that YUM on a sheet or what???
and frost them.....
 then your little drop cookie of heaven on earth is ready to send you into celestial bliss.....okay, not quite that
amazing, but these are mighty fine cookies!!!!!
Give them a try....best this side of heaven i've tried!!!!!
here's the recipe:
Ingredients
1 1/4 cups pure can sugar (available at Stater's)
1 cup softened butter
5 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Cream together butter and sugar until it is nice and creamy.  Mix in 1 egg yolk at a time and vanilla extract.   Add flour, baking soda, cream of tarter, and salt until cookie dough is completely mixed.  Be sure to scrape down the bowl to be sure everything is mixed.  Use a cookie scoop and plop the dough onto your ungreased sheet..  Bake for 10-12 minute. try not to get too much color on them.... Let them cool and frost with
Buttercream:
1 cup softened butter
4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
mix all together till creamy- spread over cooled cookies......

Now, wasn't that Short and Sweet????

3 comments:

  1. Oh you sweet thing! I love this!!!! And I'm totally going to try this recpie! Love you and your little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww. thanks my sweet brown-eyed girl!!!!!!You will love the cookies- they're even easier than the snickerdoodles!!!!
    looking forward to seeing you tomorrow!!!!

    ReplyDelete