Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Mom's Pie Crust!!!!

"For the foundations of the earth are the LORD's; upon them he has set the world."
1 Samuel 2:8
   Can you imagine how powerful He is?!?!?! is ANYTHING too much for Him??? Not only did He speak the world into being, He also made the foundation...the support and source of stability and strength!!!!
In building, there is nothing more important than the foundation. Changes in the environment can cause a house to shift  and be damaged, or even fall if the foundation is inadequate.With all the quality woods and materials we have access to, even superior craftsmanship and design will prove worthless if not built on a solid foundation.
In my life, circumstances change all the time. Unexpected things crop up and I realize that I am not in control. Before I knew Jesus as my Lord (meaning at the helm of my life....the One in charge), I turned to temporary fixes to give me the illusion of security.Those things ended up being a trap to me rather than the source of strength I had hoped they would be. I know someone who is trustworthy. He doesn't always answer the way I would like, but He is faithful to guide me through whatever comes and I don't feel the need to turn to something that will numb my heart or someone who will break it- I turn to God Himself and I am secure because He shelters me.
  In baking, there are few things more foundational than pie crust, but if the crust is not good, the whole pie runs the risk of being sub-par regardless of how good the filling or fruit is.
My mom was never all that interested in cooking, but she made a couple of things really well...pie crust was one of them and I have adopted and adapted her recipe over the years to be what I think is one of the best I've ever tasted!!!!!!
ummm- we had company over when I was photographing this recipe and this photo is devoid of salt and sour cream...and you only need the egg if you are making the "Pie Crust Cookies"...see below!) so this picture is almost worthless- sorry!!!!
You will need:
3 3/4 c. flour
1 heaping T.sugar
1/2 T. (yes a half tablespoon seems like a lot, but it really balances out a sweet pie!!)
1/2 t. baking powder
whisk all these together with your dough blender (or a whisk, but using the dough blender gives me one less thing to clean...and I can never get those 30 seconds back!!!!!)
This is my handy dandy Androck dough blender...it's been around the block and then some...and i find it irreplaceable!!!!
Cut in the butter and Crisco till the mixture is all crumbly....
1 c. very cold unsalted butter
3/4 c. cold Crisco(makes it really flaky, but you CAN use all butter!!!!!!)
then combine:
up to 2/3 cup ice water
(and enter-  the two "secret ingredients"...my mom said the vinegar really increases the flaky factor and you can't taste it, so I've taken her word for it and I have to say, this is a very flaky, tender crust!!!!)
1-2 T. sour cream
1 t. vinegar.
and add them to your crumbly butter mixture...over mixing makes a tough pie dough, so  steer clear of making it a smooth dough and go for something that just holds together!!!!
M-I-C-K-E-Y....
Then press it to form three discs and wrap in plastic wrap and chill a couple hours. At this point I froze 2 of them because I only wanted a bottom crust...i was using a buttery crumb topping (which I also HIGHLY recommend!!) But they make excellent "Pie Crust Cookies" if you brush them with a beaten egg and sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on top and bake themmmmmmmmm till golden brown!!!!!!!!!(But I was good, and I did NOT do that!!!!)
I made an apple pie with my crust and will probably try a lemon pie later this week with one of the others...and I may succumb to the urge to make the cinnamon/sugar Pie Crust Cookies too....we'll see!!!!!
When you make a pie, roll out the dough and then put your pie plate on top to make sure you've rolled it big enough to cover the bowl....
then roll the dough back onto your rolling pin and drape it carefully over your pan...

Cut off any excess and make any repairs to the dough that occurred during transportation...no one will see this bottom one, so it's okay- it'll taste good!!!!
An easy way to TOP a pie instead of a pastry crust is a crumb topping- here's a rough idea of what to do...
1 stick of softened butter
1 c. brown sugar (is there a better combo in all the world....not in MY book!!!)
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
use your dough blender again to get it nice and crumby!!!!! sprinkle it over your pie...and viola!!!!instant gratification!!!! Everybody who's tried this loves this recipe and it's easy as....PIE!!!!!!!
Hope this pie crust recipe makes it into your foundational cooking file

......and as for the rest of life's quandries...
"We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. "
Hebrews 6:19
 There are still things that still cause me to fear, but God's love is the foundation of my hope and the strength. .I am learning to run to Him before I run anywhere else. He is a firm foundation!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm... I have a slew of Meyer lemons, I see a lemon pie in our near future...... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy- you should try this crust- the saltiness really compliments other flavors so well.
    I have a great recipe for lemon curd I am posting soon-It is soooooo easy!!!!i LOVE all things lemon- especially the sweet-tart Meyer!!!

    ReplyDelete